This recipe is inspired by one we learned from asian chefs. In a restaurant kitchen, you do not waste. We hope you want to live that way at home, too.
So, if you use cilantro, but don't know what to do with the stems, this is it. The stems have all the same flavor as the leaves AND they have more texture. We use them here with shallots, garlic, Pepper Sauce, and a dash soy sauce to create a condiment with texture, bright flavors, and of course, a bit of heat.
We love this on seafood (try it on your sashimi) and on crisped tofu (as pictured below).
Recipe: A&B American Style Chili-Cilantro Stem Relish
- Half of a shallot, diced
- Cilantro stems, as much as you have shallot, also diced
- 1/2 tsp Minced garlic
- 2T, Pepper Sauce (or more, obviously)
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- Mix all ingredients
- Let sit in the fridge for an hour or more for the flavors to mix
- Spoon over pieces of sashimi or tofu
- Note: This recipe is flexible. More Heat Pepper Sauce, Shallots, cilantro, and garlic are a fantastic flavor combination. If you like it with more garlic, add that or use our With Garlic Pepper Sauce. The key is that you'll get some great textures for dishes are are in need of it