Recipe: Cheesy Chickpea PattiesWe love this recipe from a fan. We discovered @MsFoodDivision on Instagram after this recipe and her beautiful photos brought her to our attention. Cindy started her blog to "promote healthy eating culture on a bigger scale". Us, too! We love what you're doing, Ms. Food Division. Keep it up!
This recipe for Chickpea Patties is a great way for vegetarians to get our Pepper Sauce into some burgers. You could make other veggie patties (quinoa or black bean) just as easily. But, the key is to make sure you get a nice crispiness on the outside. That's what makes it extra satisfying and gets the kids into it.
Try adding these to the lineup at your BBQ to make your Memorial Day a Meatless Monday.
(Vegan? You already know how to make the couple of substitutions to adapt this to your diet)
- 1 can chickpea, drained; boiled in hot water for 10-15 minutes, remove the skins of the chickpeas
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
- 50g grated parmesan
- 1 bunch chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup panko
- extra-virgin olive oil
- Our A&B American Style Pepper Sauce
- Preheat a frying pan with oil under medium heat, add chopped garlic and carrot, cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the fire.
- Transfer the cooked carrots to a large mixing bowl. Add chickpea and get a potato masher to mash the chickpea.
- Add the cheese, fresh parsley, chopped shallot, eggs and panko to the chickpea mixture. Season. Mix well.
- Form the patties with your hands by carefully roll the mixture into a ball, then gently squeeze down to flatten the patties to about 3cm thick.
- Preheat a frying pan with a generous amount of olive oil under medium heat, add the patties and cook each side for about 5 minutes or less (being careful not to burn them).
- Place the cooked patties on a kitchen towel to soak up any excess oil. Plate them on a bun as a veggie burger or finger food as you like.
- Serve with A&B American Style Pepper Sauce
Have your own suggestions for how to use A&B American Style? Share them with us in the comments or tag us @ABAmericanStyle on Instagram or Pinterest
Want a little bit more from us? Sign up for our mailing list by clicking here